Vacation doesn’t have to be a time to throw caution to the wind and gain 10 pounds; in fact, I get a thrill out of being as kind to my body as possible during vacation. It’s actually quite enlightening to not completely gorge when you’re on vacation (of course I’ve done it both ways and I much prefer the lighter experience).
Why? In the hectic busy-ness of everyday life (kids, school, work, art classes, soccer etc), it’s so easy to go astray.
But on vacation? It’s the perfect time for me time, without the stress.
In fact many raw foodists claim (as I do!) that the very best time to do a cleanse, or eat lighter, is actually on vacation, so if you are away at a resort especially, it is a perfect time to take advantage of all the fresh fruit, freshly squeezed juices and salad bars for an invigorating mini-cleanse.
Being prepared is absolutely essential. Flexibility is possible but with some solid steps like these below, it will make it so much easier.
1. Definitely pack some powder greens, like Greens or Chlorella tablets or wheatgrass powder in case you can’t get to a local juice bar. Have these in place of (or in addition to) your daily juice or smoothies. You could even bring some raw protein powder if you wish.
2. Goji berries and hemp seeds are two complete proteins that are easy to travel with and even easier to sprinkle on salads for a protein boost.
3. If you don’t have a long plane ride or are driving, you can make up a batch of 5 or 6 juices or smoothies and freeze them in steel bottles. This way you can let them slowly defrost as you drink them (and store the rest in a freezer upon arrival to your destination or keep in a cooler).
4. Do some preliminary research: you can easily look up veg friendly places online at places like happycow.net or healthyhighways.com (this tip thanks to Emily Deschanel in the book Crazy Sexy Life – thanks!). There are even apps for this too.
5. Call ahead to the cruise line or resort to see if they will accommodate a special diet. Often this is possible. If not, give my lighter eating/cleansing plan a shot. :-)
6. Foods like nori sheets, nuts and seeds are easy to pack as well as to transform into wraps with simple salad ingredients (if eating at a buffet or even on the road). You can fill a nori roll with wonderful supermarket ingredients like avocado, romaine lettuce, and sprouts and seeds.
Prepare simple raw recipes like raw granola, or raw energy balls, or make other foods like fruit leathers that travel very well. You can even just eat corn on the cob without cooking it for a delicious treat. For a quick alternative, Lara bars are excellent for travel as well (and for munching while stuck in an airport).
7. There is nothing wrong with bringing your own blender (yes, I’ve packed my blender before!), especially if you are travelling by car or going to a cottage. For those travelling further, a handheld blender, like Tribest or a Magic Bullet, is perfect to make a smoothie in a pinch.
8. Bring along a small bottle of agave, to sweeten up any fruit salad dessert.
9. If you are travelling to a warmer climate, make it a point to visit local markets and try some of the delicious tropical fruits the region has to offer.
10. Have fun and be ready for adventure! If you can’t eat exactly the way you want, remember it is only for a limited time. Don’t stress over it, since you really don’t want the extra shot of cortisol to pulse through your body. Embrace the moment and have a heck of a good time!
What are your top tips for eating well or even raw while travelling? I’d love to hear from you in the comments below.
© 2012, ohmyraw!. All rights reserved.